Thursday, August 25, 2011

Action Research

Before reading about it this week, I had no official knowledge of action research. I'm completely attracted to the idea as I've always been very invested in data-driven decision making.
Administrators and teachers can improve their performance and the outcomes on their campus with the continual movement through "(1) clarifying and diagnosing a practical situation that needs to be improved or a practical problem that needs to be resolved, (2) formulating action strategies for improving the situation or resolving the problem, (3) implementing the action strategies and evaluating their effectiveness, and (4) clarifying the situation, resulting in new definitions of problems or areas for improvement, and so on, to the next spiral of reflection and action" (Dana, 2009, p.5)
Action research seems the most effective way for progress on a campus. It involves those directly involved with the students and teachers on the campus and is completely personalized to the needs of the school.
I've thought a lot about how I might use action research as a teacher this year. I'm excited about the idea of creating a plan to address an issue and measuring and reflecting on its progress. It really gives me a sense of autonomy.
I haven't really settled on an idea yet. My thoughts on areas that need greater focus are vast: the academic needs of the ESL student population at my school, parent involvement, outcomes of Project Based Learning, a new program-"Meaningful Work" in which students can apply for 'jobs' on campus, growth in reading fluency as an indicator of reading progress, and the effectiveness of homework.
I am undecided, but very excited to begin!

Dana, Nancy. (2009). Leading with Passion and Knowledge: The Principal as Action Research. Thousand Oaks: CA.

No comments:

Post a Comment